REGULATIONS FOR ADMISSION TO PhD (Doctor of Philosophy)
The Degree of PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) shall be awarded in the subjects of Medical Sciences (Basic and Clinical) taught in the Shaheed Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto Medical University Larkana and its affiliated colleges/ Institutions. The PhD education program is primarily comprised of active research work under supervision of an approved supervisor holding PhD degree and includes:
- Completion of an independent piece of research (PhD project) which may be a discovery of new facts or a fresh interpretation of facts or theories. This research work should be original and show the candidate’s capacity for synthesis of data, its critical examination, analysis and conclusion.
- Writing a PhD thesis based on the PhD project
- Approved organized academic training
- Scientific and academic dissemination including the publication of the PhD project
2. ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
- For Admission into PhD program, a minimum score of CGPA 3.0 out of 4.0 in the semester system or 60% in the annual system after MBBS for Five years program OR after M Phil/MD/MS/FCPS and equivalent degree for two years program is required.
- A Subject test conducted by the National Testing Service (NTS) in the area of specialization chosen at the PhD level must be cleared prior to admission to PhD program.
- In the case of GAT (Graduate Assessment Test) / GRE (Graduate Record Examination) subject test, a minimum of 60% marks is required to pass the test.
- If the test is not available in NTS subject list, then a university committee consisting of at least one PhD faculty member (coordinator) or Professor holding degree at par with PhD, in the subject area and approved by the HEC will conduct the test at par with GRE Subject test and qualifying score for this will be 70%.
- The validity of above tests is for a period of 2 years.
- Valid PMDC Registration Certificate.
- M.Phil leading to PhD program: the private candidate should be under 40 years of age and in-service candidate should not be more than 50 years of age.
- PhD program: the private candidate should be under 35 years of age and in-service candidate should not be more than 40 years of age.
4.ADMISION /REGISTRATION :
I. Every scholar shall pursue his/her research at Institute/ Department/Centre within the jurisdiction of the SMBB Medical University or other collaborative institutions within the country or overseas recognized for this purpose by the Advanced Studies & Research Board.
II.After qualifying for admission every Ph.D. candidate shall submit the prescribed application form recommended and signed by the supervisor and countersigned by the Director / Chairperson and the Dean concerned.
III.Following documents are to be attached:
- Two attested copies of recent passport size photographs.
- Attested copy of the Certificate of last qualifying examination.
- Attested copy of the National Identity Card.
- Eligibility Certificate (wherever necessary) issued by the SMBB Medical university.
- Migration certificate issued by university of last qualifying examination, other than SMBB Medical University.
- Service Certificate along with No Objection/Spare-ability Certificate (wherever applicable).
IV. All applicants shall have to appear in interview before admission committee to be constituted by the Vice Chancellor. The committee shall recommend the candidate for provisional registration after approval from Vice Chancellor.
V. After provisional registration the candidate shall in consultation with his /her Supervisor(s) prepare a research synopsis of proposed research project (of not more than 1000 words) specifying outline of the topic, Objective, Introduction, justification and scope of research, research plan, methodology and references (in English).
VI. The Synopsis shall be scrutinized by the scrutiny committee consisting upon:
- The Dean of the Faculty.
- Director/Chairperson of the concerned Institute/ department.
- One senior most Professor other than Director/ Chairperson from the concerned Institute/ Centre/ Department.
- Two Professors of any relevant field from outside the Institute/Department Centre to be appointed by the Dean.
- Director Research.
VII. After approval from scrutiny committee, the synopsis shall be reviewed by Ethical Review Committee and its certificate shall be the prerequisite for registration.
IV.The Registration shall be granted after approval of Synopsis by the Board of Advanced Studies and Research.
V. A Notification of Registration for each candidate approved for admission to PhD program shall be issued by University.
VII.No scholar shall without the prior permission of the Advanced Studies & Research Board, join any other course of study or take any examination conducted by any University, during the period he/she is continuing registration for research work for the Ph.D. degree at SMBBMU.
- After MBBS a course work of 42 (24+18) Credit Hours is required to be completed besides 6 CH of thesis work over a period of Five years.
- After M.Phil/ M.D/M.S/FCPS or equivalent degree, a Course work of 18 Credit hours is required to be completed along with 6 CH of thesis work over a period of 2-3 years.
- All research students will have to pay the fees within 30 days from the date of Notification of registration failing which the admission of the selected candidate shall be deemed as cancelled; the tuition and other fees shall be prescribed by the authorities (Syndicate) from time to time.
- MBB Medical University teachers are exempted from payment of tuition fees but will have to pay Thesis evaluation and Viva Examination fee. Further, as per decision of Advanced Studies & Research Board after a maximum period of 3 years, the exemption mentioned above will be withdrawn and full tuition/supervision fee will be charged.
- 50% concession in tuition fee only is allowed to teachers of affiliated colleges. However, after maximum period of 3 years the concession will be withdrawn and full tuition fee will be charged for additional period.